Easy-to-Use Custom NFPA 704 Diamond Generators and Resources
The National Fire Protection Agency (NFPA), in section 704 of the National Fire Code, specifies a system for identifying hazards associated with various materials. Proper identification of hazards is essential for emergency responders and anyone who needs to handle such materials. People who need NFPA 704 diamonds love our custom NFPA sign generators that let them create and preview custom NFPA diamonds with just five clicks.
These NFPA 704 sign tools include a rating explanation guide and a link to the NFPA 704 standard to help users choose the correct hazard level. On the preview page, one more click lets users select materials from 1-inch vinyl labels to 30-inch aluminum signs.
And if you need custom NFPA 704 diamonds with chemical text, we’ve made that easy, too.
A second NFPA tool lets you:
- Select 3 Rating Numbers and a Symbol for your diamond from dropdown menus
- Enter your custom text and CAS# – format the text to meet your needs
- Click the Proceed – Select Size + Material button for product details, options and pricing
Please refer to NFPA Standard 704 Section 4.3, Location of Signs, for specifics on where to post NFPA 704 placards.
NFPA 704 Diamond Rating Explanation Guide:
Notes On Special Hazard Symbols
Although NFPA diamonds commonly are created with a variety of symbols, only three symbols are authorized by the NFPA for use on Hazmat Diamonds: OX, SA and W.
Authorized Special Hazard Symbols:
- OX – Oxidizer
- SA – Asphyxiant
- W – No Water
Non-authorized Symbols Commonly Used:**
- ACID – Acid
- ALK – Alkaline
- COR – Corrosive
- COR+OX – Corrosive Oxidizer
- COR+OXY – Corrosive Oxidizer
- CRY – Cryogenic
- OXY – Oxidizer Agent
- W + OX – No Water Oxidizer
- RAD – Radioactive
**Emergency responders in your area might not recognize non-authorized symbols used on NFPA Diamond signs, because they are not defined in NFPA 704. Before using these symbols, consult your local emergency response team regarding size and placement of non-authorized symbols with your NFPA diamond.
NFPA 704 Resources:
- Learn more about NFPA 704 diamond signs in our Compliance Resource Bulletin. (pdf)
- Purchase a copy of the NFPA 704 standard here.
- Make your own printed NFPA 704 diamond sign.
- Create a custom NFPA sign with diamond and chemical text.
- Browse blank signs and letter kits to create diamonds on-site.
- Order NFPA explanation guides in English or Spanish.
What Do The Numbers Mean?
NFPA hazard identification diamonds are intended for emergency responders, but employees also need to understand the haards associated with chemicals in your facility. Our full-color NFPA 704 Explanation Guides will help you and your workers understand and apply NFPA ratings. They are aailable in a variety of sizes and materials to suit your needs.