October 2020 Workplace Safety News and Notes
NSC Observes 10th Anniversary of Distracted Driving Awareness Month
The National Safety Council recognized the 10th anniversary of Distracted Driving Awareness Month in October by releasing a report that details the science behind distraction and calls on key stakeholders to make life-saving changes. Preliminary data indicates roads were deadlier for the first six months of the year, despite less traffic because of quarantines. The Understanding Driver Distraction report calls for employers to ban use of cell phone or mobile devices while employees are driving, including use of hands-free and voice command systems.
Using Virtual Reality to Build Hazard Awareness
A Wisconsin-based construction company is using a simulator to teach employees how to make a safer workplace. Through virtual reality, safety trainers learn what safety hazards employees miss, which can guide future safety training. And because it’s virtual, the safety team can keep revise and build new simulations to help keep employees safe in any environment. A demonstration of the platform will be presented at the 2020 Safety Leadership Conference, which takes place Nov. 10-12.
Thanksgiving Safe Travel Tips – Kids and Car Seats
Whether you’re traveling across town or across the country for Thanksgiving, this information from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) will help ensure your trip is safe. The top 3 are easy:
1). Wear a seat belt every time you drive or ride in a motor vehicle.
2). Always buckle children in the car using an appropriate child safety seat, booster seat or seat belt.
3). Don’t drink and drive, and don’t let someone else drink and drive.
- Oct. 29 – Combustible Dust – Dust Fire & Explosion Safety
- Nov. 4 – Workplace Testing & Drug hazards Amid COVID-19
- Nov. 5 – Mental Strategies for Reducing Soft-tissue Injuries
- Nov. 10 – Driving Safewty Culture Through Modern Technology
- Nov. 18 – Leveraging ISO 45001 to Meet OSHA Requirements
- Learn more or sign up.
Top Newsletter Links last Month:
These were the most popular links in the last ComplianceSigns Connection workplace safety newsletter:
- OSHA guidance on the Respiratory Protection Standard during the pandemic
- COVID-19 safety tips for schools
- Covid-19 Coronavirus Disease Help Stop The Spread Poster
- New products at ComploianceSigns.com
- National Farm Safety and Health Week