EMERGENCY CARE FOR CHOKING CONSCIOUS VICTIM If victim CAN breathe, cough or speak - DO NOT INTERFERE. If victim CANNOT breathe, cough or speak - give quick upward thrusts (grip above the waist but below ribs) (Avoid pressing on the bottom of the breastbone) Hold fist with thumb tucked in. Hold thumb side inward, use other hand to give an in and upward thrust. Repeat thrust steps until effective or until victim becomes UNCONSCIOUS. UNCONSCIOUS VICTIM Phone 911 or send someone to call. Return to the victim. Do 30 chest compressions at a rate of 100-120 per minute. Press at least two inches, but no more than 2.4 inches. Allow for full recoil after each compression. (Place heel of one hand on center of breastbone and heel of second hand on first hand.) If trained in CPR, Open the airway. Look for foreign object. If one is seen, remove it (head tilt, chin lift). Attempt two breaths If trained in CPR, Repeat steps C, A and B, if not, continue chest compressions until victim starts breathing or until emergency/medical help arrives. Have someone call for an ambulance, rescue squad or EMS. DO NOT PRACTICE ON PEOPLE. Abdominal thrust may cause injury. Use the back blows and chest thrust on infants. Use the chest thrust on pregnant women and obese victims. Learn to perform emergency care for choking and cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) For CPR training information, call your local American Heart Association or American Red Cross chapter. For children 1 to 8 years of age, use one hand for chest compressions.
This easy-to-read EMERGENCY CARE FOR CHOKING sign describes how to clear the airway and administer CPR to a choking victim.
• Surface-mount sign is directly printed in color on a white substrate.
• Choking / CPR sign is UV, chemical, abrasion and moisture resistant.
• Substrate choices:
- Rugged, enamel-coated aluminum - Semi-rigid PVC plastic - Flexible vinyl label stock with permanent adhesive - Heavy duty, flexible magnetic backing (Choose a tab next to the sign to select material and size)
• Aluminum and PVC signs have 0.20-in. mounting holes in each corner.
• Labels have self-adhesive backing - just peel and stick.
• All are printed with UV-stable ink and are suitable for indoor or outdoor use at service temperatures from -40 F to +180 F.
• For more detailed information on construction, please select the Product Data Bulletins tab above.
• Order your first aid safety signs today, or use the Create a Custom Sign tab to make your own.